Sunday, February 19, 2006

Spiritual White

Dichotomy, Raconteur, Sobriquet, Polemic, Wherewithal, Deportment, Elocution.

Wonderful, marvelous, incredible and surprising. I suppose those are apt words to describe my week.

Firstly, I finally got my P license for both car and chopper. There was nothing fishy during the examination - I made a few mistakes, and nobody asked for bribes. In fact, it was just a mere coincidence that I made the same exact mistakes and scored the same as the guy after me.

And in other news, the Vice President of the United States, shot, a 78 year-old man in the face.

Come on, it doesn't make any bloody difference that I crossed the raised pavement test in exactly 7.8 seconds, same as the guy before me - as long as I got my Professional driving license.

This gets me thinking however: if I am a professional driver now, why will I be demoted into a mere "Competent" driver in two years time (it's a Malaysian thing).


I have an announcement - the startup company I am involve in is approaching its internal launching date, which is the 25th of this month. Therefore, for marke... I mean introduction purposes, we are also launching our company's official blog, which for now, will be on Blogger.

I struck upon this idea while taking a trip with our CEO, Tommy Ooi, to the Registrar of Businesses (a.k.a. R.O.B.) to well, register our business. Full details will be posted on our company blog, here.

Yesterday, will remain as one of the most shocking days of my life - my computer died.

Technically speaking, it didn't die; but almost always loaded in Safe Mode, which is as close to geek death as possible.

Drawing an analogy with the non-geek world would involve describing a scene where a patient is placed into a comatose state so that the trainee doctor may be allowed to rewire some important arteries, veins, and carry out organ transplants without the displeasure of a complaining patient who got into the mess in the first place by hiring an untrained plastic surgeon to inject nerve gas into the forehead to remove wrinkles and prevent facial expression.

And in other news, the Vice President of the United States, shot, a 78 year-old man in the face.

The main thing is, PC is still usable, for now; after the trainee doctor attempted to replace her brain but was stopped by an unknown presence.

And yes, I phrased that sentence correctly. I named my computer PC and assigned it a female gender - so sue me, I don't have a girlfriend.

Before I move on to other items, I wish to share a touching moment I saw on Saturday which re-ignited my belief in the human race.

While traveling to visit my grandma who is now lying in hospital due to heart problems (aided no doubt by her children who STARVED HER FOR SIX DAYS!), I observed a blind man crossing the road.

He lifted his cane high into the air with his umbrella pointing downwards; clearly signaling his intent to cross.

The first kindness: An oncoming car slowed down more than 30 metres away.

The second kindness: After crossing the road, I saw two young ladies offering to guide him in his travels.

The third kindness: As my father pulled away, slowing down before a traffic light, I saw a motorcyclist guiding another blind man across the road. This would be unremarkable except for the fact that I could see an ownerless motorcycle with its lights still on parked beside the road.

And in other news, the Vice President of the United States, shot, a 78 year-old man in the face.

I can only speculate that the motorcyclist, in his zeal to help the blind man, forgot to remove the keys from his bike.

Now, why can't more people act this way.

To another news item:
The Nintendo DS Lite will apparently support web browsing, among other interesting features. PSP nutcases, feeling stupid?

But the real story of the week belongs to MySpace.

Besides kicking Friendsters butt all the way to the nearest blackhole, MySpace has apparently TWO-AND-A-HALF times the traffic of Google.

What I have to say is of course:
What the hell are you fuddle duddle idiots still doing on that bloody slower than flowing sewage water Friendster?!?

And in other news, the Vice President of the United States, shot, a 78 year-old man in the face.

Remember the "Peace" message I left behind last week? It had to do with the Olympics.

I always had a soft spot for it, so that is why I couldn't write anything remotely vitriolic last week because the Olympic spirit sort of seeps into your soul, at least, that's how it works for me.

In fact, it's better than religion or any other ideological beliefs in promoting peace.

Take this for example:
Pope visits mosque - nothing happens.

Atheist handing out flyers in Salem - burnt at the stake.

North Korea and South Korea marching out under a single flag accompanied by 80's American rock music - millions cheer!

I have also fallen in love with another sport - curling.

There is nothing else like it in the summer games (okay, maybe it shares some similarities with lawnbowl). Curling is a combination of strategy and precision, where players with the biggest biceps don't win, but the geeky team does most of the time.

The aim of the game is to place your stone as close as possible to the "button" inside the "home". One point is awarded for every stone that comes nearer to the button than does any rival stone.

If you still can't get the gist of the game, go here.

Knowing me, you may realise that I am currently planning to send a Malaysian curling team to the Olympics as soon as possible. But first, I need to amass great wealth and prestige (for further reference, check out Sautern Enterprise).

And in other news, the Vice President of the United States, shot, a 78 year-old man in the face.

P.S. Due to PC's slightly deranged state, this blog is being published one day later than usual. Hey! You try working on a computer that hangs 10 seconds after Windows boots up!

Dead of the Week: 22
Total Dead (Since 12th Jan 2006): 75

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad 2 hear u bcame a 'professional' driver d :), while i hv yet 2 start. so now u sympathise with the 'geek' sports now huh? personally, i feel the winter O's are kind of farcical, with most of the sport being objective. I m all 4 stuff like cross country skiing and speedskating though :).

Rewarp said...

Have you actually seen the competitors in curling?

Watch the Dannish team first before making future comments on this "geek" sport.

Rewarp said...

P = Professional

Rewarp said...

To Peter regarding the "objective and farcical" games.

Did you happen to catch ice dancing, the aeriels, moguls?

Last time I check, there appear to be more subjective judgement games in the winter games than the summer games.

Rewarp said...

Positive. It's in the JPJ book.

Anonymous said...

Not 2 flame on u, but yeah that's what i meant actually subjective sports instead of objective. subjectivity makes it farcical. summer Os hv what? gymnastics, synchro swimming, diving, equestrian. aside from that, d other sports adhere 2 the faster, stronger and higher principle, with minimal outside influence from d judges. am i correct 2 say that winter Os hv more sports that rely on judges who can b biased?

Rewarp said...

"i feel the winter O's are kind of farcical, with most of the sport being objective"

Sorry if I misunderstood your sentence up there.

Actually, it's not as subjective as you think. Ice-skaters for example have to perform a set number of tricks which are themselves divided into a few levels.